In addition to its 1st class surf spots, Taghazout, Morocco has also one of the most stunning coastlines….wild, long, raw, rocky and sandy, most of these kilometers long beaches untapped.
Picture yourself going for a surf. You come back to chill in the sand and set the camp for the day or simply go to watch the sunset on the beach. How dreamy!
However, beach pollution is slowly taking over, and battling plastic and litter has now become a social trend.
Laying your towel or sitting somewhere without having to clear up empty cans, packaging, cigarette stubs… seems normal. Potentially finishing in the ocean that we all love so much!
It’s our responsibility, mine, yours, and every ocean and beach lover to finally show our beautiful planet some love.
Here at Sunshine Surf Morocco we take this matter very seriously and we are relentlessly working on trying to raise awareness amongst the local community. So in order to carry on spreading some ocean love, we have put together a few tips no matter where in the world your sandy feet are :
- Check around your spot, umbrella, before leaving the beach so the place stays same as you found it or even cleaner.
- If you know you’re going to camp for the day, bring a garbage disposal with you, take your litter back home in your bag, your coolbox, your car, to the nearest garbage or the nearest shop or restaurant. Worst case we all have hands.
- Cigarette buds do not turn magically into sand grains so remember to take your old ciggy back with you.
- If you’re road-tripping and need to use the outdoor toilets, make sure you’re not leaving your used toilet roll or sanitary items behind. Take it back in a bag with you to closest the garbage.
- Stop using disposable plastic (cutlery, straw, bottles…) as much as possible – Think reusable. And you will quickly realize that not only you stop destroying the planet but you are also saving money.
- Food leftovers or peels are less toxic but still, seriously who likes to sit on an old bit of sandwich or banana peel.
And for those who feel like adding a little more, here’s how you can take it to the next level:
- Staying at the beach or just taking a walk? Pick up any litter you spot along the way – Remember take three for the sea.
- Stay tuned and join one of the local beach clean-up programs by checking our Instagram or Facebook page.
But the best part of it all? That all these small (and free) gestures, are good for the Earth but also for your karma 🙂
So maybe if we all start taking action now!
Want to organize a group trip? Contact us!